Consideration of a Kansas City, Missouri Church of the Brethren began in 1905. This congregation was officially established in 1908 under the leadership of Isaac H. Crist, of Kansas City, Kansas, as a mission effort. We were located in the Eastside Centropolis area of Kansas City, Missouri. The dedication was held on August 22, 1909.
We were organized as a congregation by the Middle District of Missouri on April 24, 1910. The first pastor was Elder George W. Lentz. There were 105 persons as charter members, including some from Grain Valley, Sibley, and the recently disorganized Clear Creek congregation in Saline County. We moved to a new building at 6236 Hughes St., which later became 16th Terrace. The first love feast was held on May 22, 1910.
The church authorized securing a musical instrument on July 26, 1922. We established a piano fund in May 1924.
We became self-supporting in 1926.
A Sunday school class called the Fellowship Class was established in 1928.
The church on 16th Terrace was remodeled and re-dedicated on May 5, 1940.
A new pulpit was dedicated in memory of Pastor I.V. Enos in 1950.
Our new church building and relocation plans began in October of 1952. Groundbreaking was on February 20, 1955, at 1925 Hardesty in Kansas City, Missouri. The dedication of the new church was held on October 21, 1956. We had present as a speaker, Dr. Jesse H. Zeigler. He was a professor at Bethany Seminary.
The 50th anniversary of the Messiah Congregation was celebrated on April 23 and 24, 1960. The speaker for this special time was Paul N. Robinson, President of Bethany Biblical Seminary.
The name “Messiah” was officially adopted to precede “Church of the Brethren” at the April 1960 council meeting.
The burning of the mortgage, for our current church address, 1925 Hardesty, was held on January 31 and February 1, 1976. The service was held with much celebration.
The Eastside Outreach Center began in 1982. The Center is an emergency food distribution center. Counseling services were offered by John Huggett and several Messiah volunteers.
Our seventy-fifth anniversary was celebrated all year long in 1985. We had various significant activities. The climax was an all-day meeting at the church on Sunday, December 1, 1985. Our speaker was Rev. Floyd E. Bantz, a former pastor from Pennsylvania. A reception was held on July 11, 1985, for Ira Gibble and his wife, Martha. He was a former Pastor at Messiah.